Friday, April 8, 2022

Saying Goodbye to a Relationship

I recently said goodbye to a 13-year relationship, and it was more difficult than I thought it would be. In the beginning, I really didn’t want to get into the relationship. I was happy with the ones I already had. How could I manage another? But there were special people in my life who wanted to add this relationship to our lives, so I acquiesced. And I’m glad I did because she brought much joy to my life.


Zoey, our chocolate lab, quickly became my walking partner. I wonder how many miles we walked over those 13 years. We walked with friends, and we walked alone. She would remember where there had been “bad” dogs in their yards, and she’d pull on the leash to get as far away from them as she could even when they weren’t outside. On some walks we’d stop at the lake. I’d find something to throw in the water for her to retrieve. It was funny how many more times she would retrieve something in the water than she would on land. Zoey liked being off the leash but never went too far ahead without stopping to see if I was coming. I couldn’t get on the floor to stretch or sit without her thinking I was down there for her. She loved having her belly rubbed whether I was on the floor or not. Were there more of those than the miles we walked? She always knew when I was sad or upset and would come to comfort me. 

Like all relationships though, there were difficult times. We were fortunate that she didn’t chew shoes since she spent her younger years in the mud room with ALL our footwear. But she did chew a hole in the basement wall. On some of our walks, when Zoey was off the leash, she would get behind because she stopped to sniff everything. Weren’t we supposed to be exercising? Once she ate a hand warmer and Fred had to induce vomiting. When we lived on the sailboat for three months, she got so depressed she developed a hot spot on top of her head. Then there was a trailer incident where her jaw got broken as were our hearts. 

As Zoey aged, our walks became slower and shorter. She would still go in the water, but not for long. Naps became more frequent and longer. Her eyesight failed, she couldn’t hear, and doggie dementia set in. It seemed to come on slowly yet went by way too fast. I always wondered how we would know when it was time to say goodbye, but she let us know.

Zoey touched not only my life, but so many others. The family who cared for her as their own every time we went on vacation. My walking friends. The many neighbors who let her out and fed her when we would be late to get home. Her furry friends’ parents. The coworkers who stayed with her when we needed them. The vet staff and groomers who loved on her at every visit. It seemed she captured the hearts of everyone she encountered. 

While I had no desire to have a pet in my life, my love for Zoey grew to a point that saying goodbye was difficult. I still expect her to be waiting outside our bedroom door in the morning for her breakfast. I miss being greeted by her when I come in the door. And I ache to walk with her again when I see other dogs and their owners enjoying a walk together. All relationships have good and bad days, ups and downs. As I reflect on the memories I have of Zoey, I’d have to say there were many more on the plus side which made it harder to say goodbye. 

I appreciate our family and friends who have reached out to comfort us and share in our grief. From cards, gifts, and flowers to Facebook and text messages, these acts of kindness let us know we are not alone in our sorrow. Many have walked with path before, and I appreciate those relationships as well.

2 comments:

  1. Awe !!! I love this ❤️ The part where you said “ wait aren’t we excercising??” made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely tribute, Lisa. We are truly feeling your pain now, after saying goodbye to our sweet Roo yesterday. I’m completely crushed and feels my empty and destitute. But it was the right time. As you said about Zoey, she made it clear. We are with you in sorrow.

    ReplyDelete